The Friends of Duncan Library is a volunteer-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit that supports the operations of the Duncan Branch Library , located in the heart of Del Ray, Alexandria Virginia. Membership donations and monies raised by the Friends are used to help fund activities and purchase materials not covered through the City budget.
We always welcome new members — Please join online or pick up a membership form, available at Duncan, across from the circulation desk. Memberships and contributions are tax deductible and valid for one calendar year.
What We Do
FoDL sponsors a variety of educational and enrichment programs that include children’s programming, enhancing the overall collection, a cinema club and and other programs for adults. Money raised by FoDL primarily supplements the Library’s materials and programming budgets. Examples on how funds are spent include:
- Supporting the SummerQuest children’s programs
- Purchase of juvenile non-fiction materials
- Purchase of games for after school programs
- Sponsorship of adult programs including the Cinema Club
- Enhancing the audio book collection
- Growing the adult fiction collection
- Sponsorship of community events hosted by Duncan Library
- Purchase of equipment and supplies for the library
- Contributing funds for library improvements/remodeling
- Beautification and landscaping
Our primary form of fundraising is through biannual book sales.
Who We Are
FoDL is managed by a five person executive board, each member serving a two year term. Board duties and responsibilities include establishing and organizting priorities and activities; raising funds, allocating and expending them; and establishing and overseeing the responsibilities of the standing committees.
Current board members are:
- President (vacant)
- Vice President/Communications, – Joy Buhler
- Vice President/Membership – Emily T. Earle
- Secretary – Kathleen Aucoin
- Treasurer – Mary Ann Bier
Current Standing Committee chairs are: